Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Baby's cloth diaper stash

It's no secret that we've cloth diapered each one of our children. That's 6 years of diapering.Geesh! This baby would be no different. There is just something about a cloth covered bum that gets me every time. I just love it. Minus the poop, of course. 

I had a few newborn diapers left over from Avonlea that I never sold and those started out this stash. And then I built it from there, keeping in mind what I really liked with Avonlea. I wanted to keep it pretty simple this time, using mostly prefolds/fitteds and covers for home and AIO's for outings/diaper bag, etc. 

I'm still waiting on a few items that I've recently purchased, but this is the majority of her stash:

Nine newborn AIO made by Nana's bottoms. Loved these with Avonlea, a very nice fit right from birth. And super affordable!



One rainbow cover from Greenline diapers. This is a one size cover but adjusts down to a newborn size. I ordered the one on the right. I'm really loving the bright rainbow colors this go round. And they are pretty gender neutral. 


Two Imagine AIO. Size newborn. 


Three Grovia AIO size newborn. These have two rise settings for small newborn to larger newborn. 


Two newborn AIO bumgenius diapers. We used these with Avonlea once her cord fell off. The only thing I don't like with these diapers is they will fit in the waist before they fit tiny legs. So these are mostly daytime diapers for us. 

These are all the covers. A few are left over from Avonlea and the rest are new. From left to right, top to bottom:
-Nb Fluffy's cover, nb loveybums wool cover, xs thirsties cover
-xs bummis super brite, preemie prowrap, nb imagine cover (green), nb rumparooz cover
-both nb basic connection pull on covers (blue and pink)

Newborn grovia fitted and nb orange diaper co snapless fitted. I also have 6 newborn bamboo terry squares and two newborn terry loops fitteds coming from ODC as well. 

Prefolds: top left are red edge nb zabi prefolds, top right are preemie prefolds. Bottom left are cottonbabies unbleached Indian prefolds in infant size. Bottoms right are nb/xs imagine bamboo/cotton prefolds. She will start in preemie and xs prefolds and then move to infant once she outgrows those. The preemie, red edge nb, and infants are all left over from Avonlea. 

That pretty much rounds out her newborn stash. I also have two dozen flat diapers that the girls will share. Once she outgrows this stash, she and Avonlea will share the one size stash that we currently use of flats/covers and Bumgenius 4.0 pockets. 

I know it seems like a lot of diapers, but newborns pee and poop a lot and can go through about 12-18 diapers a day. This will allow me to wash every 2 days with diapers to use for wash day. 

We use either Tide pods or Country Save to wash our diapers. We've never had 
a problem using either. Then we dry on medium or line dry in the sun for any staining. 

There you have it. Cloth is simple and easy to use. Even with small, newborns. 

8 comments:

  1. Those sure are cute but man, did looking at all of that give me some crazy anxiety! Rock on, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This also caused me some anxiety.....Hence I will start with a kit from BumGenious and from there. I might try some flip ones too. But still....I'm sure cloth diapering your first was scary....but now your onto number 4! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Its really not that hard, maybe it just looks that way because all the pieces are separate. The prefolds we will just trifold and lay in the covers, put on baby. The AIO's you just put on baby just like a disposable diaper. I started out with Bumgenius pockets with Peytonn when he was 2 months old and around 8-9lbs. Then I learned about prefolds and using those. diaperswappers.com is a great place to learn and chat, sell and buy cloth diapers. Thats where I started and learned. Plus my mom cloth diapered all of us and she helped me too.

      Delete
    2. I'll check out that website.
      A friend also told me about a store in Indy that she went too. She said they were helpful and not pushy in trying to sell to you. I also think that I may wait till baby is born....see it this one is a premie like M or not. Then go with baby to shop/buy.

      Delete
    3. Toasty Baby? I've been there a few times. Its a really small store, but they have some basic stuff. They also offer classes on cloth diapering too. Maybe they do a service too, where they wash it for you and deliver you new diapers.

      Delete
    4. Yes toasty baby. I think it would be good to see the diapers and the variety. Although that could happen if I met you for lunch. :)
      And I don't mind washing the diapers. I hope this baby has poop like Mackenzie. I could flush it from early on if I wanted to. And very few 'blow outs.' Like less than 5. Our issue is heavy wetting so I like the pre fold options to add to the thickness. Also I liked your idea of the flip for outings so I don't have to buy disposable diapers.
      Either way I have a few months. :)

      Delete
    5. The Flip organic inserts are uber absorbent. (not the daytime ones) We use one for overnight and it works just fine. So, that might be a good option for daytime use if you have heavy wetters. Prefolds and flats pad folded in a cover are also pretty decent absorbency wise. Thats one nice thing about cding, you can totally customize the absorbency that you need. I've converted at least two friends to cloth diapering and they both love it. You can find out what works best and easiest for you and go with it. Or change it all up if that system doesn't work. Its so flexible. And, the Flip disposable inserts are great for out and about. I just got 3 packs to the take with us this weekend to Holiday World. I can use two for night time and one during daytime changes. And they are soft, absorbent, and natural fibers. No yucky gel beads or chemicals. They aren't badly priced either, $5.95 for an 18 packs which equals about $0.33a diaper. From the cottonbabies seconds sale I got 3 packs of those and two flips snap covers and a dozen flats for like $50 plus free shipping.

      Have I annoyed you yet? :)

      Delete
  3. Love seeing all the pictures of your CD's!

    ReplyDelete