Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Fluffy mail day!

I love it when I get fluffy mail, it just makes my day. (I know, sad right?) But it's true, cloth makes me happy. Bennett has recently outgrown a lot of his diapers, so I have been selling the old ones off and purchasing new ones in bigger sizes. Cottonbabies had their seconds up on their site in BumGenius the other night and I was able to score 4 Large AIO's (all in ones) and 2 BG OS (one size) diapers for about $64. That's a steal and I can't find anything wrong with them. I also ordered 6 Imagine prefolds in size Large, a Thirsties Duo Size 2 snap cover, and 2 Motherease Bamboo Toddler Sandies for Peytonn.  I am attempting to night train Peytonn and the Sandies are side snapping and  you can pull them on and off like underwear, but they are still absorbent. Tonight will be our first night of this adventure. :)

I've had a lot of people ask me about cloth diapers lately, so I thought I would add a little info this time about prefolds. I love prefolds because they are so natural and you can always get a good, custom fit with them.  What people don't know is that prefolds come to you in the mail and are very flat and rough, not fluffy and soft at all.

You have to prep a prefold several times before it becomes absorbent and fluffy soft.  A good way to start this process off is to boil your prefolds on the stove for about 30 minutes.  Then I wash them again on hot in the washing machine and dry them on high heat.

After you dry them, they are slightly more fluffy, but still a little rough. They also have not shrunken to their final size. You will have to wash them on hot and dry them on high heat about 6 more times. Then each time after that they will become more absorbent. I usually wash mine about 4-6 times and then let Bennett start wearing them. Then I wash them with each load of diaper that I do.

I also love Thirsties covers over prefolds. They are generously cut and have leg gussets which keep it all in. I hardly ever have leaks with a Thirsties cover unless I have left a diaper on too long.  Thirsties has now come out with its new Duo line. It's kind of like a onesize diaper cover. They have two sizes, Duo 1 and Duo 2. Each one you can adjust the rise simply by snapping it down. Bennett wear the size 2 and is on the medium snap setting, so he has plenty of room to grow in it.  Peytonn can also wear the same cover on the largest rise setting. I just got this new print Thirsties cover and I love it!!!

I am hoping that the Bamboo Sandies work for Peytonn. Usually at night I put him in a cloth diaper, but he has outgrown all of the ones I had for Bennett. I tried sposies on him at night but he leaks out of them. So we are trying a new approach.  A cloth fitted for night time for some absorbency and mom waking him up every couple of hours to use the potty. We'll see how it goes.

As you can see, he has plenty of growing room in these. I will keep these for when Bennett potty learns at night time. These are so squishy soft, I just love them!

1 comment:

  1. Who doesn't love a fluffy bum?!?!?! Hope the night training goes smoothly with Peytonn!

    ReplyDelete