Sunday, April 18, 2010

My soap box

Alright, I'll make this quick, but I feel like I need to at least address it.  I'm not a carseat expert by any means, but it is some what of an obsession of mine. I am obsessed with carseat safety and spreading the word about safety that sometimes people don't know.  I work with kids and parents everyday and 9 times out of 10 the kids and seats are not installed and fastened in properly.  It really bothers me, I mean REALLY bothers me! It bothers me for one simple, yet very important reason.....its THE only thing that protects your child if you are in a crash!!!!!! What on earth could be more important than that?!

The law states (at least in Indiana) that your child has to remain rearfacing in a carseat until they are 20lbs AND 1 year old. And that is just the minimum requirement by law. It is actually much safer for them for remain rearfacing until they outgrow the height and/or weight limit of the seat rearfacing.  Peytonn rearfaced until about 18 months/25lbs and Bennett is 23lbs/17months and still rearfacing in his carseat.  I transports a 4 year old twice a week and so I have to turn Bennett's carseat forward facing for her.  One day I picked him up from the babysitter and put him in it.  He looked so incredibily tiny in it!!! It just made me realize that for his own safety, he is so much better off rearfacing still.  I know as parents we try to do what is best for our children and I know not every parent will choose to rearface their child for an extended period of time.  And frankly, I am ok with that.  However, I do think you should have them rearfacing until at least the minimum of 1 year/20lbs.  Surprisingly, I can't even tell you how many babies less than 1 year I see in forward facing seats.
*Forward facing
He still has plenty of leg room rearfacing and he just looks better in the seat rearfacing still.

My next order of business, the straps and clips.  Please make sure that the shoulder straps are COMPLETELY over their shoulders.  They should sit directly on top of their shoulders, not on the sides.  The chest clip is called a chest clip for a reason, it should be level with their armpits.  The straps should also be tight enough that you cannot pinch it.  If you can pinch it, it is too loose and it needs to be tightened.  Why is this such a big deal you ask?  Well, if the "chest" clip is down by their crotch and the straps are too loose, then it is a big possibility that if you are in a crash, your child will be expelled through the top of their carseat.  The straps on top of the shoulders, the straps being snug, and the chest clip at the chest holds your child in place during a crash.  If you are hit from behind (the most common type of crash), the force of your child's body is going to be forced upward (if they are rearfacing).  If the straps are not on their shoulders there is nothing to hold them in place.

The last order of business, the installation.  I have seen so many carseat installed incorrectly, even by foster parents and daycare providers.  Please, I urge you to read your carseat manuals. Make sure you are installing the seat correctly and if you are unsure, please take it to a carseat check point and have them double check it.  I always make sure my carseats are rock solid.  I will get into the seat and use my weight to tighten the seat completely.  If the seat moves more than an inch at the belt path, it is too loose and it needs to be tightened more.  I can't even stand the 1 inch, I will fiddle with it until it doesn't move at all.  Again, why is this important? It the seat is not installed properly and you are in a crash, its like your child being tossed around twice during a crash.  Once in their seat and then from the crash as well.

I know that there are some of you out there that already are aware of this information, but I see it everyday where parents just have no idea.  It's just about being educated about the safety of our kids. It's something I'm not willing to compromise on. I had no idea when I first had Peytonn about extended rearfacing and I am so glad that some of my mom friends shared that with me. I did my own research and found the benefits of it.  I urge you all to do the same, do your own research and make your decision, but please use the safety measures the law has laid out for the time being.

Ok, stepping down from my soap box now. Thank you for reading if you have made it thus far. :)

2 comments:

  1. Amen, sister!!!! I think it's great that you're doing your part to educate people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree Courtney! Sometimes I think parents just put their kid forward facing because its easier for them. And then when they put their child in the seat, they are in such a hurry, they don't pay attention to the little things that will actually save their kids life! (chest clip, etc.). I was able to keep Hannah rear facing up until about 2 weeks ago. It made me sad to turn her around but her legs were bent up. So I made the decision to turn her around. I also think that if we had a bit larger car (where we didn't have to move the front seat up to fit her car seat) I would have left her rear facing for a bit longer. There are times where I want to switch her back but I think I just need to face the fact that she is just a little too tall now to stay rear facing. *tear*

    Glad you wrote this post though! Hopefully someone will remember your words when they are putting their kid into their car seat!

    P.S. I too get 'on' the car seat to tighten it in. I'm sure it's quite the funny site seeing me kneel on and push this car seat down to tighten the belts! :oP I feel like I need to apologize to my poor seat because the cushions look like they're in pain!

    ReplyDelete