Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cooking and eating

This weekend I spent sometime making some homemade goodies for us. We have a deep freezer that we fill with cases of free range chicken and meats, organic veggies, etc. The freezer is tall but rather narrow and sometimes what's jammed in the bottom somehow gets forgotten about. For the next 3-4 weeks my goal is to do a freezer/pantry clean out. I would like to use as much from what we have with only buying produce, milk, cheese, etc for as long as possible.

This weekend I took an entire gallon of whole organic milk and made Greek yogurt. It was soooo easy and turned out great!







I also cut up my first whole chicken. Now, I roast whole chickens all the time. But I've never actually cut it up into pieces. The whole chicken gave me two whole meals to feed a family of five.

Honey soy chicken (really good!)



"Worlds best chicken". Made this and put it in the freezer for later in the week:



Made homemade hamburger buns:




And creamy pasta salad:


*This was super good! I doubled the recipe and used my homemade greek yogurt instead of the mayo.  I used however much on the pasta and then saved the rest for later. That night we made this for dinner:

and it was AMAZING! I used the pasta sauce on top of these instead of sour cream. Superb!!! Seriously!

I even made some homemade chicken stock using the remainder of the chicken bones, some carrots, celery, onion, garlic and herbs. I boiled it down until it was a rich broth. I got about 4 cups of stock from the chicken:




I'm hoping to get creative this week and in the upcoming weeks for meals. Any suggestions would be welcome and appreciated!

*Edited to add all recipes. Just click on pictures*

3 comments:

  1. Pretty sure you need to post the pasta salad recipe. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just updated all pics with the recipes. Just click on the picture now. :) BTW, that pasta salad was really good!!

      Delete
  2. You.are.my.hero!!! I cannot BELIEVE you made all of those yummy things and still had time to do anything else. You are amazing. I wish I was your kid so that I could eat your yummy food. Bravo, mama!

    ReplyDelete