It's been a while since the last time that I blogged. I needed it. December was a month full of a lot of emotion for me. I needed to take some "me" time and just let things be.
But here we are, a new year. This is going to be MY year. I have a lot of plans for ME. On the list of things to do this year include:
--losing more weight and becoming healthy and fit again
--going back to school to get my MSW
--take a vacation
I'm sure I'll have many more plans, but these three things are at the top of my list. Here's why:
1.) Losing more weight and becoming fit: I have lost a total of 13 pounds so far. I am a jean size smaller and my friends/co-workers are starting to notice. I have gotten a lot of "wow, over the last month, you have just glowed!" comments. I needed this more than anyone could possibly imagine! This month has been very emotional for me. I haven't shared it with anyone. I've kept my smile but on the inside I felt like I had died a thousands deaths. From this stemmed my decision to focus on me. I needed to fix me. And so I am. I work out at least 3-6 times per week doing Zumba at home or taking classes. I am watching what I eat. I have made the decision to move towards a more vegan diet. I can eat vegan without a problem and I already have many of the foods in my pantry. I want to do it for the health reason and benefits. I have dropped my coffee intake to maybe once per week, which is a huge deal if you know me. I've replaced it with green tea, any other variety of tea, and water. I drink at least 3 cups of green tea per day now. I feel much better than I did, but I know there is still work to be done. But I'm on the road.
2.) My desire to go back to school has pretty much been a mute point up until now. I knew I wasn't ready both mentally and just the ultimate time commitment for school, three children, and working full time. But now I am ready. I have the desire to learn more about my field of work and to expand my job opportunities for the future. A big reason I have put it off is because there were no local schools that offered a MSW and I would have to drive an hour each way to attend class. Plus with my husband's work schedule, it would be impossible to attend class each week. However, now IUPUI offers a MSW online. This was my saving grace! I know several people that have completed their MSW through IUPUI and loved the program. I have already started the admissions process, my writing samples, and have lined up my references. I just need to complete it and get accepted. I hope to start in March of this year.
3.) I haven't take a vacation in 4 years. Yeah, 4 years! I haven't take more than 3 days off in a row from work in 4 years, except for my maternity leave with Avonlea where I took 4 weeks off. Yes, I had a 4 week maternity leave. It was my decision. The thing with my job is that I only get paid for the hours I work. I make my own schedule, so if I don't work, I don't get paid. That means no paid vacation, no paid time off, no paid sick days, no paid maternity leave. Plus, I work my own cases. If I don't do the visits or the case management, I feel like I have no idea what is going on with my cases. And that drives.me.crazy! I need to be in control. :) But this year I have vowed to save up some money and take a vacation! I need a vacation! Badly.
So these are my three major goals for the year. I know that I can accomplish them, I just need to do it and plan it.
What are your goals for the year?
I understand just needing to take the time off. Hope things are getting better. And yay for you for making time for yourself! I was so glad when I finally took the plunge and joined WW before I got pregnant. It was tough to admit I needed it, being a mom does that to us. I've already promised myself and husband not to wait so long after this baby is born.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, you need a vacation!! Good luck getting into school!
You go, girl!! That's the one thing that we forget to do as mommies...take care of ourselves, too! So proud of you, and mazel tov for continuing education. That's awesome! Best of luck! My goal this year is to definitely get back into shape. I'm going to try my best to run a few more 5ks with a larger goal of possibly doing a half marathon. Let's keep each other motivated, my dear! :)
ReplyDelete