Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer reading

I have always loved to read and waaaay back in the day, I was a huge fan of the Oprah Book Club. I read many of the books that she recommended and I enjoyed them. Fast foward to today, three children and a full time job later, and let's just say that reading time is often lost to sleep, children, or chores.

However, I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and I have been trying to put it to good use. I figured this was the excuse I needed to get back in the reading habit. I love getting lost in characters and stories. But I am also notorious for starting several books at once and then grasping on to one and finishing only that one. I'm trying to be better about that.



Growing Up Amish was the first book that I read from start to finish. I have always had a fascination with the Amish and this book gave great insight into Ira Wagler's life and the decisions that he made. Living in Indiana for my entire life with Amish communities not far away, it was nice to learn a little bit more about this "secretive" community. There's something inspiring to me about a cultural inside our cultural that has continued all of these years virtually untouched by the outside world. I recommend this book if you are looking for a light read and want some more insight into the Amish world.


I want to preface this with, I'm not huge into all the hyped up movies, books, etc out there. I have never read the Twilight series or the Hunger Games. I saw the first Twilight movie months after it came out and I really wasn't all that impressed. Its just not my cup of tea. I was really hesitant to even buy this book because of all the hype about it. I read the summary and decided to just buy the first book, Fifty Shades of Grey, in the trilogy and go from there. Well, let me just tell you, you might as well go ahead and purchase the trilogy! I started the first book and it was ok. It started to get to the "good" part and I was a little put off by it at first. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about it. I let the book rest for a few days. Then I went back and I just couldn't put it down. I was staying up until midnight (GASP!) almost every night just reading away. I could really take or leave all the "good" parts, but I am really intrigued by the characters, Ana and Christian. I love reading about their relationship, but frankly, its anything but "normal." Or maybe it is, who knows, I'm pretty "vanilla" myself. Ha! 

But I have to say, the first book stops abruptly. It really makes you want to know more, know what happens. I finished the first book and immediately downloaded the second, Fifty Shades Darker, to find out what happens. I just can't put them down!
Even if you're not into all that kinky stuff, I think you will really enjoy these books, the relationships and the story. The story just keeps you guessing and wanting to know more. I have bags under my eyes! Miss I go to bed at 9pm just cant seem to put these down!

Before I started reading Fifty Shades, I also read this book, the Secret Holocaust Diaries. It was also very good! Some of the story is a little gory, but that is to be expected. Although, I have to say, this is more of a memoir about Nonna's life than just about the goriness of the Holocaust. I am someone who loves to learn about history and completely immerse myself in it. After reading this book, I downloaded Auschwitz by Miklos Nyiszli, which is much more gory. It is actually about a concentration camp. But again, I'm notorious for starting several books at once. I started this right before I downloaded Fifty Shades, and well, you see which book took over. But I fully intend to finish Auschwitz as well.

Some other books that I've downloaded, but haven't finished yet are:

--Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila
--Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith by Father Robert Barron
--The Everything Grow Your Own Vegetables Book

....and a few cook books.

All in all, I'm loving my Kindle!

Go now, go get that Fifty Shades of Grey, I promise you won't regret it!!

4 comments:

  1. sweet! You totally jump-started my reading list--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got hunger games and someone lent me their 50 shades trilogy. I love my kindle fire!! I can sneak in a chapter or two while Mackenzie plays. If I had a book she would be all over me trying to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you liked fifty shades, you'll like twilight as well. Fifty shades is like an xxx rated version of twilight. I've heard that fifty shades actually started as twilight fan fiction and became so popular, they made a series out of it.

    ReplyDelete