Monday, August 20, 2012

First week back..

The school year has begun and it went off without a hitch! Peytonn started kindergarten on Tuesday and he is loving it so far.
Photobucket

He is going to all day kindergarten. We figured after 2 years of preschool, he was ready for full day. Plus, he loves getting to eat his lunch at school and have recess.

Photobucket
*dropping Peytonn off on his first day*

According to Peytonn, what they do at school consists of playing, lunch and recess. I've tried to ask him what kind of work they do, like letters, numbers, etc. He says none of that. However, I know they are doing some work because his teacher sends those papers home. Ha!

Bennett starts 3 day preschool today. He will be going to the same class/teacher that Peytonn was in last year. This is a step up from last year when he went twice a week to the Montessori school. This school is more structured and I can't believe what they learn at such a young age. Peytonn was counting by 100's and into the thousands by the end of the year. Writing his name and recognizing all his letters, etc. Bennett is excited to start again!

As for Avonlea, she is doing great on the soy milk. Her bottom is completely healed and no longer red and raw.  I'm so glad her tummy isn't hurting her anymore.
Photobucket
*enjoying her first raw smoothie!*

The kids loooooove pancakes but most recipes call for milk and/or butter. I found a recipe on Oh She Glows for some vegan whole wheat pancakes. I adapted my recipe from her Peanut Butter Swirl Pancakes.
What I changed: I left out the peanut butter swirl, used maple syrup for the sugar, and I used real eggs instead of egg substitute because that was what I had on had.  I also saw on Pinterest how people were making pancake "muffins" with a piece of sausage baked inside. I thought that would be perfect for us on a busy school morning.
Photobucket

So, I thawed out some Morning Star "sausage" links and cut them each in half. I placed a piece in a each muffin cup that was sprayed with some olive oil. I then filled each muffin cup to the top with the pancake batter. I baked at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. 

These were super good and easy! I wrapped each "muffin" individually in plastic wrap and placed it inside a freezer gallon size bag. I then placed them in the freezer. They are all ready to go for breakfast, just a few seconds in the microwave and no need for messy syrup! Oh, and by the way, my meat eating boys loved the sausage. They even fought over the last piece. Just try it, even if you think your kiddos won't like it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad they are excited for school!! I'm amazed at what they learn too. I was talking to a mom I used to sit for and she was telling me all they need to know by kindergarten!
    Glad A I'd doing better!!

    ReplyDelete