I started off with the fresh apricots. I had about 2lbs left over from the 4lb bag that we got from co-op. These are fresh, organic apricots sliced in half with the pit removed.

I cooked them with a 1/2 cup of water until they were soft and tender. Then I added about 2 cups of sugar and let it reduce until thick. Take off the heat and add in some fresh lemon juice, I used about 1/2 of a lemon. I let it cool slightly on the stove top and then jarred in. I put most in a quart size canning jar and the remainder in freezer containers. The jar will keep in your refrigerator for months and I placed the rest in the freezer for later use.

I did the same with my peaches after that. Although, I skinned the peaches first. I also skinned and slice some peaches, placed them on a cookie sheet in 1 layer and froze them. Then I placed the frozen pieces into a ziploc freezer bag.
While I was spending my day cooking, I also roasted two whole chickens for dinner. My inlaws joined us for dinner and I also made these rolls from Pinterest:
They were super yummy and fast to put together. I used sparkling water and a little sugar instead of the 7-up the recipe calls for. After we finished eating, I shredded the remainder of the chicken and froze it for later use.
I also want to make Sunflower Seed Basil Pesto:
My basil plants are out of control and I need to trim them back and freeze some basil for the winter. I love this idea of using the sunflower seeds instead of pin nuts. Pine nuts can be rather expensive and I already have sunflower seeds at home, ready to use. I hope its yummy!


No comments:
Post a Comment