Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving menu

This is our 4th year hosting Thanksgiving. Its a lot of work, but I prefer it to traveling with 3 children to  several different places. I started hosting right after Bennett was born. So yes, I decided to host Thanksgiving when I had a 2 weeks old preemie baby. Again, it was easier than taking him to a million places. But I've really learned to enjoy it. I love cooking, so why not host a huge meal?!

Usually, I just roast my turkey the same way that I roast my chickens. But this year, I am trying something new. I decided to take the plunge and attempt to brine our turkey. I used the recipe from Pioneer Woman:


Since I knew I had to work all day today and the bird needs to brine for at least 18-24 hours, I made the brine last night and put the turkey in it.  I used the Reynolds bags to place the turkey and  brine in. Then I put a layer of ice in the bottom of our cooler, put the bag of turkey/brine in, and another bag with ice on top. I placed the entire cooler outside where it was cold. I checked it this morning and the ice had melted a little, but it was still cold and plenty of ice left. We used a free range, organic turkey this year as well that I got from our co-op. It's ginormous! I think its about 18lbs, but I'm also feeding 8 adults and 5 children. Plus I want leftovers. I think it should be fine.

Our other menu items include:

*rosemary and butter yeast rolls* I make these every year and they are a huge hit!


*cornbread stuffing* Also an every year thing and a huge hit!
Source: food.com via Courtney on Pinterest


*cornflake potatoes* This is my grandfather's recipe and I have loved it since I was a child

*deviled eggs*

*Greenbean casserole*

*7-layer salad*


*Mashed potatoes and turnips* trust me, you'll never know the turnips are in there!


*Homemade Pecan pie and pumpkin pie with real whipped cream*

*My mom's homemade sweet potatoes*

*Homemade gravy*

I think that about sums it up. I make everything from  scratch for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think the holidays warrant really good, homemade food! I don't mess around with the premade stuff.

I can't wait to gobble it all down!! But, I do plan to run that morning so I don't feel guilty about eating all that good food. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment