It had been 2 weeks since we last went grocery shopping and it seems like I could probably go a month without heading to the store, except to get some basic stuff like fruit/veggies, cheese, and bread. I think I have stock piled so much that I almost feel overwhelmed at times looking at my pantry and chest freezer. My goal for April is going to be using up as much as possible from our pantry and freezer and making recipes/meals from ingredients that we already have on hand.
But as for this week, here is our meal plan:
--Mini ham and cheese sandwiches (AMAZING!)
--Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
--Homemade White Castle Sliders
If needed meals:
--Shrimp Scampi with pasta
--Smothered Southern Pork Chops
I had almost everything to make each of these meals this week. The only ingredients I got a the store today were ham, swiss cheese, velveeta cheese, and King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. Since it is just me and the two little ones for dinner, I try to double up on ingredients if I can. For example, I really wanted to make those yummy ham and cheese sammy's for dinner one night and the recipe calls for Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. Now, obviously the two boys and I are not going to consume 12 rolls in one meal. So, then I remember reading a post by my friend Melissa over at Committed Housewife that she had made these sliders for her family for dinner one night. I found the recipe and they also called for Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. Bingo! That gives me another use for the other half of the package of rolls. Buy one ingredient and use it twice, money and time saver!
The rest of the shopping trip was dedicated to the menu for Peytonn's birthday party this weekend. Total I think we spent just over $100 and we should be good for 2 weeks. Also, Sunday is milk delivery day (yay!). The boys get very excited when the milk comes or when its our turn to go to the farm and pick up/deliver the milk. One of the families that we share the driving with is heading out on Spring Break this week. They asked us if we would like some of their milk since they will be gone. ABSOLUTELY, I said! We usually go through 2-3 gallons per week and lately I have been forced to buy a gallon of organic milk from the store because by Wednesday or Thursday we are out of our raw milk. The nice family gave us an extra gallon of milk this week and for free!! Woot! The entire top shelf of my refrigerator is filled with jars of milk and nothing else. Love that and love free things from generous people! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment