
I started out reading Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method by Marie Mongan. This is a great book to learn about relaxation techniques during both pregnancy and labor/birth. Please don't get the misconception of a string hanging in front of your face and being hypnotized. This teaches you to relax and therefore you can experience a less painful labor/birth through relaxing your body and allowing it to do what it naturally does. It really is a great book!
The next book is Birthing From Within. I started to read this book and I just couldn't get in to it. I thought the layout was weird and it seemed like there was a lot of filler info rather than good info. I never finished it.
I really liked this book, Nutrition for a Healthy Pregnancy. Since my babies like to come early for no apparent reason, I am always looking for ways that I can help keep them in. Nutrition is one of those things that may help reduce preterm labor. I have really focused on eating enough fruits/veggies, dark leafy greens, protein, and getting enough iron and Omega 3's. I take a plant based vitamin, a DHA pill, an Omega pill, and an iron pill every day. So far the things I am doing seem to be helping. I have also read that eating the right things during pregnancy can reduce or eliminate your risk for preeclampsia and gestational diabetes.
I highly, highly recommend this book. Even if you are not exactly planning a "natural" labor/delivery. The first half of this book is nothing but birth stories, followed by Ina May guiding you through different parts of pregnancy, labor, and delivery. I am about 3/4 of the way through this book and I just cannot put it down. It really reveals how beautiful birth is and takes away the medical aspect of it. Giving birth does not have to be a medical experience. This really gives me high hopes of what this labor/birth will hopefully be like for me. I cannot wait to experience true labor and delivery in a natural way without just feeling like an onlooker from the hospital bed.
Orgasmic Birth is next on my list to read after I am finished with Ina May's book. I have already watched the video on this, so I am curious if it is similar to the video or not. Please don't be thrown off by the title of this. Although the video talks about how some women experience pleasurable births, this is not at all X-rated. The video explains how we perceive pain relates to how much pain we actually feel during labor. If we can relax and open our bodies/minds to the natural process that is occurring, we can experience less pain. It's really interesting. I rented the video from the library.
I have also watched the videos "The Business of Being Born" by Ricki Lake and "Orgasmic Birth." Both can be found at the library and are great documentaries regarding birth. I also read a book on waterbirth. I plan to labor in the birthing pool as long as I can. The hospital has finally gotten one and I am so glad they are trying to encourage more mother's to labor naturally. I hope you check out some of these books or they are helpful to at least somebody.




I loved Ina Mae's Guide to Childbirth! My favorite quote of hers is, "Your body is not a lemon"!
ReplyDeleteOne other book that I really liked was, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer.