Friday, March 5, 2010

Spring is here?

I think Spring and Fall are my most favorite times of the year, each for different reasons. I adore Spring time because its like that glimmer of hope for warm sunshine and beautiful flowers. After a long winter, I love the excitement that I get over a nice sunny 50 degree day. It makes me want to start my garden and work in the current flower beds that I have. Things are going to start getting greener and signs of life are going to start emerging from the brown that surrounds us.

I ordered my seeds about 2 weeks ago for my vegetable garden this year. They came in the mail about a week ago and today I finally got them started in my indoor planter. I am trying out the planter from Burpee.com, which is also where I bought my seeds from this year. The seeds I got were beets, green beans, green onions, radish, heirloom tomato, and cherry tomato. I got the 72 cell tray, so that means 2 short rows of each seed.

Since yesterday was a nice day, I was able to get out and clean out the old veggie plants from my garden and get the soiled tilled up. I plan to add some more compost to the bed before I transplant my veggies into it.

We also decided to finally put up a fence in our backyard. We have been wanting to put up a fence since we moved in over 2 years ago, but with time and money, we are just now getting around to it. The fencing company came this morning and put up the posts for the fence. They will allow the cement to harden for a few days and then should be back on Monday to board it up. We got a wood privacy fence with a scalloped top. We plan to stain it a dark cherry and seal the wood this summer sometime when hubby gets home. This is what they started today:

P.S. That's the "nature area" behind our house. Besides being a big weed pit and collecting people's trash that has blown away, its not much of a nature preserve. Hence why I don't mind putting up a fence to block our view of it. You'll notice the nice Huggies box in the first picture. Very classy!

2 comments:

  1. so jealous of your garden and fence! I really want to start a mini garden this spring. I think it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm super excited for your fence! I wish we could afford one! Can I let Mimi come run in your backyard?

    ReplyDelete