Labor
- I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labor.
- I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labor.
- I will be bringing my own music to play during labor.
- I would like the environment to be kept as quiet as possible.
- I would like the lights in the room to be kept low during my labor.
- Other Labor Preference: I would like to labor in the tub.
- Other Labor Preference: I plan to use the Hypnobirthing method which encourages a darkened room and little external interruptions. For example, no loud noises and little in and out of the room by staff members.
- I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of my baby.
- I do not want an internal monitor unless my baby has shown some sign of distress.
- If labor is not progressing, I would like to have the amniotic membrane ruptured before other methods are used to augment labor.
- I would prefer to be allowed to try changing position and other natural methods (walking, nipple stimulation) before Pitocin is administered.
- Other Labor Augmentation/Induction Preference: I fully trust my body in knowing how to labor. I would prefer the time to allow my body to naturally labor prior to any medical interventions to speed up labor.
- I realize that many pain medications exist. I'll ask for them if I need them.
- Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
- If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision-making process.
- I would like My husband present at all times if my baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
- So I can view the birth, I would like the screen lowered just before delivery of my baby.
- If my baby is not in distress, my baby should be given to My husband immediately after birth.
- I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for my baby's safety.
- I would like to be allowed to choose the position in which I give birth, including squatting.
- I would like to try to deliver in a squatting position, using My husband or a squatting bar for support.
- Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
- I would appreciate having the room lights turned low for the actual delivery.
- I would appreciate having the room as quiet as possible when my baby is born.
- I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
- I would like to have My husband cut the cord.
- I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut.
- I plan to keep my baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of my baby can be done with my baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
- If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, My husband or some other person I designate will accompany my baby at all times.
- Other Immediately After Delivery Preference: I plan to breastfeed and want the opportunity immediately after birth.
- Unless required for health reasons, I do not wish to be separated from my baby.
- I would like to have my baby "room in" and be with me at all times.
- I plan to breastfeed my baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
- Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to my baby (including glucose water or plain water).
- I do not want my baby to be given a pacifier.
- My support person(s) is/are Doula and I would like them to be present during labor and/or delivery.
- Other Other Preference: I do not want the baby to receive the Hep B vaccine at birth. They will receive this at a later date.
If you have any suggestions or additives, please let me know. I know there are still some things that I want to add.
OMG, this totally sounds like me....Can I copy yours??? I am a little nervous to talk to my doctor about wanting a water birth. This has been my dream for so long and I love that you put in that you want to try squatting. They actually say thats the best way to deliver!!! Way to go COURT!
ReplyDeleteYes you can use whatever you like from it! I would check the hospital where you deliver at regarding the water birth. I would love a water birth as well, but STVW only allows you to labor in the tub, not birth in it. Which I am quite disappointed about.
ReplyDeleteYeah thats where I am delivering at too!!! If all goes smoothly with this one, I plan to get a midwife next time and deliver at home!!! I am quite disappointed in the no birthing in the water...blahhh ohhh well!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm curious to hear your rational on some of these things. And I think you'll find that almost all of these things would be standard anyway....you don't need a birth plan for it.
ReplyDeleteExcept for laboring in the tub (no tubs at Clarian, got to take a shower though while in labor)and the doula this was ours pretty much. But being high risk and them inducing due to GD.. the whole pitocin and internal monitoring thing flew out the window. Otherwise most of it was followed. Stick to your guns when talking about it... there are reasons you would like all of those things to happen.
ReplyDelete