Friday, July 8, 2011

Summer recipes

I adore summer time for the fresh fruits and veggies.  They are so plentiful and vibrant in color.  I know I've mentioned we participate in a CSA with a local, natural farm located about 10 minutes from our house.  We pick up a basket full of veggies and fruit grown on their farm every Thursday.  I really look forward to Thursday's because then I have the dilemma of choosing what to make for dinner from our basket.  I have really been wanting fresh, crispy things lately and veggies are perfect for that.

I bought some corn on the cob to make for the 4th, but my preggo brain completely forgot about it.  So I went searching for a recipe with fresh corn and I had some avocado that needed to be used. I found Avocado, Tomato, and Corn Salad/Salsa. Perfect!
I didn't have any fresh tomatoes on hand, so I left them out.  This was so super yummy!! I made some left over taco meat for the boys and put this on the side for them.  As for me, I skipped the tacos and ate this right out of the bowl.  Yummy!!

Through our CSA we got more fresh corn, tomatoes, basil, green beans, lettuce mix, beets, zucchini, onions, and red potatoes.  I just knew that it would be another veggie meal for us.  I boiled the fresh corn for corn on the cob.  I made my mom's famous microwave potatoes.  These are so simple and so good.  Dice up your potatoes and place in a microwave safe dish with a lid.  I use a casserole dish.  Place a couple of TBSP's of butter on top of the potatoes and we use Nature's Seasoning as our all purpose seasoning. (This is what I grew up on, but you can use whatever seasoning/herbs you like).  Place the lid on and microwave for 5 minutes.  Stir and place back into the microwave for another 3-5 minutes.  I love these potatoes and they are super kid friendly. 

Next I made another of my mom's recipes: Zucchini with tomatoes and onions.
I adore this dish, it's also something I grew up on and now I make it for my family.  It's really easy to make as well.  Place some olive oil in a pan while it heats up.  Add in sliced onion and some garlic and saute for a minute or two.  Add in sliced zucchini. I believe I used 3 medium sized zucchini last night.  I seasoned with Nature's seasoning, oregano, and fresh basil, but you can season however you like.  Once the zucchini has softened up, add in fresh tomatoes (can you canned as well, but always better with fresh). Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the tomatoes start to heat threw.  I then turn off the heat and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and place a lid on top.  Allow the cheese to melt, then it is ready to eat.  I waited until just before I put the cheese on to add the fresh basil.

After dinner, I made some pesto so that we could have it for dinner the next night.  Here is the recipe that I used: Pesto

I made it the night before so that it could sit in the frig overnight and the flavors could meld together better.  We will be having it tonight over some pasta with veggies. 

Hope you try and enjoy some of these recipes. 

*Sorry for the poor quality in the pictures. They were taken with my cell phone.

1 comment:

  1. Im glad you posted this! I have 5 ears of corn in my fridge that need to be eaten!

    ReplyDelete