Let me first start by saying, I have no picture of these because we ate them so fast there wasn't even time to get a picture first! These were AMAZING!!
I love spicy peppers and have been trying to perfect a stuffed hot peppers recipe for some time. I have tried the ones stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon and although they are good, it was almost a little rich for me with the cream cheese and bacon. Hence my search for the perfect recipe for us.
Saturday I got some jalapenos and banana peppers from the farmers market and today we got more banana peppers and jalapenos from our co-op. It was the perfect time to try my skills out. This is the recipe that I used and it is my own recipe:
Stuffed Peppers
Filling
8 oz cream cheese
1 scallion or finely diced onion (this can be to taste)
1 clove of finely chopped fresh garlic
1/4-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (this is to taste as well)
A splash of milk
salt and pepper to taste
a sprinkle of oregano
1/2 cup-1 cup panko bread crumbs
6-8 peppers of your choice (I used mostly banana peppers and a few jalapenos)
olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non stick spray. (I wear gloves to handle my peppers because I have sensitive skin, but do as you wish) Wash peppers, cut them lengthwise and remove seeds and ribs of pepper. Place them on the cookie sheet. Place cream cheese into a bowl (it helps if it is room temp, or if you're like me, I just microwave mine for about 30 seconds until you can stir it and mush it easily). Add the remaining filling ingredients to the cream cheese. I use the milk to help thin the cream cheese out just a tad so it's not so thick. Once ingredients are mixed well, stuff each half of the peppers with the mixture. Then place the filled pepper into the panko crumbs with filling side down. (Think of a jalapeno popper here. You want the panko to cover and stick to the filling.) Place the pepper panko side up back onto the cookie sheet. Once all peppers are stuffed and covered with panko, I drizzle some olive oil over the panko crumbs so that they will brown up and get crisp in the oven.
Bake peppers in the oven at 350 for roughly 20 minutes. You want the filling to be bubbling, the panko to be slightly brown, and the peppers to be soft.
Our banana peppers were not spicy at all, but the jalapenos did have a nice kick to them. These are so amazing and I wish I had taken a picture of them. They kind of look like this though, just so you get the idea.
Please try these, even if you don't like spicy, try the banana peppers. You won't be disappointed! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment