Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Some updates and recipes

We've hired our Doula!!! Yay!! She is great and I really like her. The only problem is that her family is planning a vacation from July 23-31st. (This would be the most likely time I will deliver before 37 weeks) We discussed this and I am okay with it. She has talked with both Hubby and I about material, videos, and role playing in order to get us comfortable with a plan in case she is on vacation when I deliver.  She will also help us make a "cheat sheet" for Hubby in case we do labor alone, Hubby will have some back up to rely on of different positions or techniques.  I am really hoping to make it to 37 weeks this go round which would put me at August 7th. My last shot will be on July 31st which should hopefully get me to 37 weeks or beyond. 

Tammy will also help me write up a birth plan. I did not do a birth plan with the other two pregnancies, so this is new to me. I mean, I know what a birth plan is and consists of, but I have never written one.  The hospital that I deliver at has been great in the past about my wishes, so I don't think it will be a big deal. I think what matters to me most is hopefully being able to have those "normal" birth experiences this time around. I am hoping to keep my baby in the room with, breastfeed right after birth, put a cloth diaper on my newborn, and just have some bonding time with the baby.  My doc is great and so are the nurses (my sister, Angie and Jamie, holla!) so I am confident that things will go great.

As for other things, I have slowly been able to incorporate some chicken back into my diet.  I am still very much wanting veggies, fruit, and nuts as my main diet, but some days can handle meat. Here are a few new recipes I have tried and loved them!!

Roasted Artichoke Hearts: Yummy!! I love artichokes and this recipe is great as a side dish. I used frozen artichokes but you can also use canned.

Baked Chicken: It doesn't get much simpler than this recipe! And it tastes great too! Even the next day as left overs. I used drumsticks, but the recipe calls for bone in breasts or thighs. It's very versatile to what you have and quick to put to together.

Chicken Drumsticks Pierre: This recipe was pretty tasty and different. The boys each had seconds of the chicken. I served it with jasmine rice and veggies.


Applebee's Oriental Salad Dressing: Love this stuff!! I love the salad from Applebee's and now the dressing I can make at home. It really does taste just like the real stuff.  I have made this twice now and its good on salad and to dip veggies in.

I also added a new blog to my blog roll. It's called My Frugal Fun Life and it has some great posts about frugal living, shopping, and other ideas.  Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I've given some thought to having a doula this pregnancy. BUT I'm pretty sure I don't actually want a doula there when I'm giving birth. My husband and I make a great team as the two of us, and I don't really want or need a third person there. I think the education and support leading up to the birth are the really important part (to me), so I think this will work out great for you either way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand your position, Melissa! I think if I wasn't scared out of my mind to be alone in the room with my husband during labor, that I wouldn't need one there either. But the truth be told, I suck at communicating what I want him to do during contractions. And then we both get frustrated, not good! So I thought this way I have someone that can concentrate on just the labor and Hubby can concentrate on what I need and taking care of me. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete