I have been interested in raw milk for quite some time now. I thought about switching to it back when P was a baby, but we decided that we would just stick to organic milk instead. Well, P and B both have eczema and P's is pretty bad. We have recently had to take him to the dermatologist in order to get it under control. I have read that eczema is caused by a reaction to something and if you can figure out what is causing the reaction, you can pretty much clear up the eczema.
I want to try the raw milk for so many reasons. First of all, it's supporting a local farmer and the milk is in its most natural state. Basically, they milk the cow and put it in a bottle for you. Second, the health benefits are great. The milk still has the natural bacteria in it which can aide in digestion. It also has all of the natural probiotics still left and alot of people that cannot drink regular pasteurized milk, are able to drink raw milk. I have also heard that it can help clear up allergies and asthma.
Selling raw milk in Indiana is illegal, however, it is not illegal to drink the raw milk from a cow that you own. So, the smart farmers in Indiana have a way of getting around this law. Basically, this is how it works. The farmer boards and feeds the cows. The consumer (myself) buys a share of the cow and pays a monthly fee which covers the cost of boarding and feeding the cow. So, technically I own the cow and therefore I can drink the milk that comes from it. See how that works?! :)
I have found a farm not too farm from here where I can get into the cow share and also they have natural pork and free range eggs as well. We plan to take the kids to the farm this weekend to check out our cow and sign up for the program. I am so excited to try raw milk and to see if it will help clear up the eczema that my boys suffer from.
No comments:
Post a Comment