Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Doula

I have always wanted to have a medication free childbirth. Each time I get to about 5-7cm and ask for the epidural. This time I would really, really like to experience natural child birth. I have been tossing around the idea of hiring a doula for this birth. My sister has been my labor coach in the past, but this time around I don't want to take any chances of her not being there.  Then I will be left in a room, alone, with my husband. EEEK!

I am a member of our local La Leche League group and have asked around for opinions and experiences.  A lot of women suggest getting one. My only concern is the cost. It is can anywhere from $200-$600. The fee includes 2 prenatal visits, labor and delivery, and a post partum visit.

I also have the problem of: we live in one area and I deliver at a hospital an hour away. I would need to either find one willing to drive the hour, or one in the area of the hospital.

I have contacted 2 doula's that came recommended so we will see what comes of that. I just wish I knew of someone personally who has used one and their experience.

1 comment:

  1. I have always said I wanted a doula or mid wife too. I actually want to become a certified nurse midwife (someday!). Please keep me posted. I'm considering this when we start a family!

    ReplyDelete